Bullying and Being Bullied

by 10:47 PM 0 comments
I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that bullying has become a hot topic over the last few years, especially since the documentary 'Bully' came out. It's so popular to stand up against bullying that the cause has actually been co-opted to campaign against hunger in this Second Harvest Food Bank ad:


I totally support the Food Bank's goals here, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that hunger is actually a lot worse than a bully. Bullying sometimes drives people to suicide, but starvation will kill everyone, every time. This ad seems to be directed at the yuppie-techie commuters that are so out of touch that they can't relate to children being hungry. But everyone has memories of being bullied, right? So hunger's like, a bully. Stand up to the bully by feeding children? Uhh, whatever. 

I have really clear memories of the times I was bullied, but it wasn't until pretty recently that I realized that I also have many memories of being a bully. I always remembered this stuff, but I had never classified it properly. It was always "sticking up for myself" or "teaching someone a lesson."

So I'm going to try to take myself on a little journey through childhood, Preschool to High School, and rack my brain for all of the times I was on the receiving or giving end of bullying. I'm partly doing this because I'm trying to figure out what I've learned, if anything, from all of these experiences, and partly because I want to know if I have anything to say about bullying in general. I may change some names, but other than that I'll try to stick to the truth, at least as much as memory allows. 


Marina Gafni

Marina Gafni is a 28-year-old speech pathology student. She lives with her husband in San Jose, CA.

0 comments:

Post a Comment