Fast Metabolism Diet Days 7-9

by 1:46 PM 0 comments
Day 7 

Today was a special day because I fit into my jeans again! This was a major victory beyond what any number on the scale might offer. I still had a little bit of a muffin top, but nothing major.




Had my normal avocado on toast with beans, kale chips, artichoke & hearts of palm salad, but then I messed up.

Backdrop: we are out in downtown Berkeley, where I haven't been in a year, with friends. Before our movie, we want to grab something to eat. There's a sushi place, but it doesn't have nigiri/sashimi. But I know that wild rice is allowed, so white rice must be okay, too, right? And I fit into my jeans today! So, without checking the app that would have told me that this was a breach of the diet, I had some salmon & avocado rolls. But I didn't put soy sauce on them, and I didn't add a sake. So, it could have been worse.

Regardless, during the whole movie I felt like my stomach was expanding. I guess that I've really gotten into the habit of eating healthily to notice this, because normally that would just be my typical after-dinner feeling.

By the way, both movies that I saw that weekend, 'A Most Wanted Man' and 'The Green Prince', were about spies and intelligence. Both of them also had almost no food on-screen, which was greatly appreciated. Maybe spy movies are good for people on a diet? Better than 'Julie and Julia', anyway!

During the car ride back to San Jose, I solemnly vowed not to eat white rice again, at least during this 28-day period. Lesson learned.

Day 8

I gained a pound back today, which really solidified the lesson about rice. I get it, I get it! I got up early to start cooking for the week, then went to pick up Hallie for some time in San Jose.

We went to Santana Row, but spent the vast majority of our time in the Container Store. That place is THE BEST! We also stopped by the Tesla dealership and Hallie checked out a model car.

Swag.

Then we met the fluffiest dog ever!


I've practically never gone to Santana Row without eating and drinking something, but it's still fun with just shopping and sight-seeing. Good to know!

Then we went to get Emma from the airport and we all ate dinner together. Emma got to eat pizza, but I was surprisingly not too jealous of that. My dinner was a tostada, and after a week of consuming such a limited amount of grain products, a sprouted wheat tortilla never tasted so good! I would have eaten five plain if the opportunity presented itself.

I took the girls down to Santa Cruz, then drove myself back to San Jose so I could get at least six hours of sleep before work. Ugh, work again? Didn't I just do that LAST week?

Day 9

This was the second day of phase one, and another landmark was hit: I was down to 130 pounds! That was a pretty happy situation for me, and I was actually kind of excited to show my newly reformed body to the world. 

Let me be painfully honest here: I wasn't fully awake on the highway that morning. I know that this was really dangerous, and if I could do it again, I would say 'forget this diet' and grab some coffee. As it was, I was closing my eyes whenever traffic stopped, which was frequent. I would get scared for a second and my heart would start beating faster because I knew what I was doing was dangerous, but then I would just get sleepy again. So my lesson from that experience was that I need to get enough sleep if I can't have caffeine as a supplement. 

Being not-quite-awake all morning was unpleasant, so when I had a chance to leave early, I took it and napped for a few hours in the afternoon. 

I love all of the fruits in phase one, and especially during the summer I feel like I couldn't be eating better. I went on a 30-min run that afternoon and I did better than I had the last week. As I ran I was listening to this song, which felt true for me:




I AM better than I was the last time! I am growing my ability to abstain from whatever I need to, and I'm cooking more than ever before, and I'm keeping it under control. Frankly, I'm impressed with my self-discipline.


Marina Gafni

Marina Gafni is a 28-year-old speech pathology student. She lives with her husband in San Jose, CA.

0 comments:

Post a Comment