Fast Metabolism Diet No Good Very Bad Days 4-5

by 2:35 PM 0 comments
Day Four

Day four was a low point for me. I woke up and weighed in to find out I lost another pound! But from there it was all downhill.

I didn't heat my breakfast through properly, and cold tempeh/mushrooms/spinach is pretty gross. The tofu jerky that I had enjoyed the day before seemed inedible to me during the middle of the day, but it was the only snack I had. The edamame salad was hard to eat without a grain to support it.

I did a second day of strength training at Bar Method, and my muscles were hurting really badly. Some shaking and burning is normal, but I hadn't felt weak like this in a long time. After I got out, I consoled myself with the thought that I could have a dessert thanks to this workout. Then I found out that dessert is defined as '4 cups of ice, a peeled lime, a cup of lettuce, and some stevia all blended together!' Umm, I'll just stick to the tofu jerky, thanks.

Because it was our friend's birthday, Amir picked me up from Bar Method and we went to San Francisco for her party. It was at a Mexican restaurant, which was pretty tortuous, since Mexican food is my favorite cuisine. While everyone else was eating grilled burritos and drinking margaritas, I drank a club soda with lime. It made me feel better that there was a guy who kept strict Kosher two seats down from me, so at least I wasn't the odd one out. Plus he has to do that for his whole life, and I'm only doing it for 28 days.

I was scheduled for a blood test the following morning that required twelve hours of fasting, so I went to bed hungry and thirsty, which isn't recommended by the diet. I didn't brush my teeth for fear of swallowing water, and I didn't shower since I couldn't drink water afterwards to cool down. I just read until I couldn't read anymore and barely had energy to turn off the light. I dreamt of burritos all night.

Day Five

I woke up shaking with muscle fatigue and weakness. I could barely put some avocado on toast for my breakfast, which was tupperwared away until I got my blood drawn.

Amir drove me to the clinic, and when the guy at the desk asked me how I was doing I said "hungry and thirsty," which he rolled his eyes at. It must be annoying to deal with fasting people all day.

The anticipation for my breakfast was doubled, because 1. I wanted to eat and 2. I wanted to eat something other than tempeh, tofu, edamame, and vegetables. I was in phase three, which means that beans, rice, bread, fruit, healthy fats, and oils were all allowed. I was pretty excited to start eating!

After my blood was drawn, I sat outside of the clinic waiting room and dove into breakfast. The avocado was creamy, the bread was hearty, the grapefruit was tangy and juicy. I felt enormously satisfied. For some reason, the scene of me eating breakfast in my pajamas was very inviting, so a few hospital workers and patients came up to me to chat. That almost never happens in San Jose, and it was really nice to have some small talk.

Amir took me home to take a shower and clean up. Afterwards I made some kale chips and a really good salad with avocado, hearts of palm, tomato, adzuki beans...The kale chips recipe called for way too much salt, and amir couldn't stomach it. More for me!

I think there was a mistake in the recipe book for the dinner, because I made what was supposed to be four portions and it looked like two. I was going to Great America afterwards, so I brought a peach to snack on in my purse.

Great America was hard to do without junk food. The whole park smells like popcorn and caramel corn, and I had a very rare craving that I get for a coke. But I survived! At home, I watched Hulu, but the food commercials were making me feel deprived. So I clicked "This ad isn't relevant to me" for every food ad and "This ad is relevant to me" for everything else. I'm seeing a lot of commercials for cars, cleaning products, and beauty products now.

Supposedly, the chemical compounds in food activate the reward center of your brain the same way that drugs do. When I was researching a paper on anorexia I went on a lot of pro-Ana forums to try to figure out what was going through these girl's minds, and one of the rules is no posting pictures of food because it might trigger someone. I'm realizing how easily and constantly I'm being triggered, even a sign that says "Sprite" makes me think about a sweet, carbonated, lemon-lime beverage in a glass with a cherry and a straw that I'm sipping through. And I don't even like Sprite. I'm trying to get as many of those messages out of my sight as possible, but it's a battle.

Marina Gafni

Marina Gafni is a 28-year-old speech pathology student. She lives with her husband in San Jose, CA.

0 comments:

Post a Comment