Night Owl Diaries Conclusion

by 2:24 PM 0 comments
OK, I had some high expectations for myself in regards to re-setting my body clock. They didn't exactly pan out.

Sure, some days I can get up at 5:00 AM, but there are many times when it's just not the wisest thing. For example, on Friday we went to a young adult Kabbalat Shabbat service, and it went well past 9:00 PM. I wasn't in bed until 11:30 PM. I could have gotten up at 5:00 AM anyway and been miserable all day, taken it out on myself and people I love, and produced some sub-par work for my graduate program. But instead I slept until 7:30 AM, and for me, that was the right thing to do.

On Tuesday night, my allergies were back, so I needed some extra time to make up for the fact that I couldn't breathe for most of the night. I think that giving myself time for that was more important than working towards a functional "body clock."

I think that sometimes, when it comes to life resolutions, I can miss the forest for the trees. Sure, getting a perfect amount of sleep is a nice goal, but being at my best when I'm awake and having time with friends is what I value more. I think about Anna Wintour, who leaves her own parties after about 30 minutes so she can get to bed on time. What kind of life is that?

Anyway, I have been getting up much earlier even on my days off, and I have noticed a few differences. I've started to like working out super early, and I'm tackling difficult tasks earlier in the day. This has led to less procrastination-associated dread and anxiety in my life, which is definitely a good thing.

Overall, though, I can't say that seeing the dawn is the most inspiring thing ever. I have no idea what people who say that are talking about. I like dark, and night. In fact, that's one of the nice things about getting up really early, it's still dark at that time.

I'm still working towards 5:00 AM wake-up every day, but perfection may not be attainable, and I'm okay with that. I'd rather be calm, happy, and well-rested than anxious and so tired that I'm impaired. Lesson learned.

Marina Gafni

Marina Gafni is a 28-year-old speech pathology student. She lives with her husband in San Jose, CA.

0 comments:

Post a Comment