Night Owl Diaries, Prologue

by 5:09 PM 0 comments
There are two types of people in the world: morning people and the rest of us. It sounds like a cliche, science agrees: only 10% of the population naturally prefers to wake in the early morning. It's true, I read it in a book about sleep that I heard about on Fresh Air. I have seen these people, they bound out of bed in the morning, say a prayer of gratitude, go on a run, bake their own bread, read the paper in print form, and arrive at work ten minutes early with a sparkle in their eyes. I am the one slinking in at 9:01 AM with a dazed expression and crumbs on my dress that serve as evidence to the fact that my breakfast was shoved into my mouth while driving 10 MPH over the speed limit in my daily attempt to be on time. 

I have had sleep problems for as long as I can remember, and I mean that very literally. Some of my earliest memories of childhood involve staying up late in bed and subjecting my stuffed animals to elaborate gymnastics competitions, or listening to opera, or wondering what people were doing in China where nighttime is daytime. Night has always seemed magical to me, whereas daytime is school, errands, and officious people hurrying from place to place. 

Since starting college, I've never had a job or class that started before 8:30, with the exception of occasional early-morning shifts to open stores and restaurants. This semester is a departure from my preferred lifestyle, because I'm starting my practicum in the public schools.

School starts at 8:10 AM, which means being there by 7:50 AM. If there wasn't morning traffic I could get up at 7:00 and leave at 7:20, but with traffic I would need to leave at 7:00 and get up at 6:40.  Traffic is stressful, and a waste of time, and because I'm already getting up at a miserably early hour, I might as well get to the 6:00 AM Bar Method class by waking up at 5:00 AM. 

Although I only need to get up at 5:00 AM twice a week, I'm a believer in keeping consistent sleep cycles in order to combat my aforementioned sleep problems. So I'm turning over a new leaf. That bright-eyed early-bird psychopath is going to be me.

Am I going to unlock a new side of my personality: a super-motivated, positive, and focused new self? Or is it just going to be me mindlessly reading my Facebook feed at a different time of day? Stay tuned!

Marina Gafni

Marina Gafni is a 28-year-old speech pathology student. She lives with her husband in San Jose, CA.

0 comments:

Post a Comment